This is not the first time you’ve heard the term collagen, I’m sure. Probably a relative or a friend is using it or you’ve just seen it at the chemistry or the supermarket. But what is collagen for? Do we need it?
Collagen is a protein vital for our body and represents 25% of all of our protein mass. It’s the main building block of our bones and skin. Furthermore, it’s also present in joints, tendons, hair and muscles. So we’re talking about a fundamental component for the functioning of our body.
Its main function is providing strength and structure to our organs and bones, which helps us stand and move, for example.
THE METABOLISM OF COLLAGEN
Our body produces collagen naturally. However, it’s also true that, once we turn 30 and especially after entering our 40s, we gradually start losing our ability to generate it. This may later cause symptoms related to ageing both externally and inside our bodies:
- Difficulty moving
- Joint swelling
- Loss of skin firmness
- Appearance of wrinkles
- Hair loss
COLLAGEN AND NUTRITION
We may increase collagen synthesis through our diet. Foods rich in vitamin C, silicon and Sulphur stimulate collagen synthesis:
- Foods high in vitamin C: red pepper, citrus fruits, green leaf vegetables, red fruits…
- Food high in silicon: oats, banana, raisins, carrots, spinach
- Foods high in Sulphur: cucumber, garlic, onion, olives, celery
In some cases, eating these foods that stimulate collagen synthesis doesn’t suffice so we need the support of a collagen supplement.
SUPPLEMENTS WITH COLLAGEN
To slow down the inevitable decrease of this structural component and to avoid the problems its deficiency involves, using a collagen supplement is very helpful, especially after 40.
A dose of 10g per day is generally recommended. However, the source of collagen will directly affect how it is absorbed. The most well-known is hydrolyzed collagen.
Collagen is usually obtained from two different sources:
- Animal sources: Bovine
- Marine origin: derivative of seaweed and fish
In the market you can find supplements aimed at specific and varied goals:
- To maintain joint health
- To improve the symptoms of joint injuries (sports)
Weider offers a specific supplement for each objective:
1. Weider Collagen is an essential supplement with a base of hydrolyzed bovine collagen that guarantees high bioavailability with peptan® which will help maintain joint health.
2. Joint Collagen is an advanced product for joint and bone health care. This outstanding formula has been designed with a base of hydrolyzed collagen which contains the best functional ingredients used for joint care:
- Turmeric extract (CURSOL): Turmeric is widely known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Organic silicon: Silicon is a key mineral for the connective tissue and for the synthesis of collagen.
- Mineral Manganese: Fundamental for the correct synthesis of the basic structures of connectives tissues and bones.
3. Beauty Collagen: Its formula contains very specific and efficient ingredients to support the beauty and health of the skin. It will help maintain a youthful and healthy-looking skin and fight the signs of aging. These two components will act in synergy to support skin beauty and health.
- Collagen peptides from hydrolyzed fish
- SkinAx™: an ingredient with a pending patent specifically designed for skin care and health. It contains polyphenols, SOD (Superoxide dismutase) and antioxidant, vitamin C and Zinc.