I’m sure this is not the first time you hear the word collagen. A friend or a relative already use it or you’ve just seen in at the pharmacy or at the supermarket, but what is collagen for?
Collagen is an essential protein for our body since it makes up to 25% of the total of our protein mass. It’s the main component of our bones and skin, and is also one of the building block of our joints, tendons, hair and muscles. We’re talking about one of the fundamental elements for a normal function of our body.
Its main role is providing strength and flexibility to our body which allows us to stand and move, for that matter.
METABOLISM OF COLLAGEN
Our body produces collagen naturally. However, after hitting 30 and especially after turning 40 our body gradually starts losing its ability to generate it by itself. One of the consequences of not producing collagen is related to ageing, but not only on the outside, it also happens at the inner level:
- Difficulty to move
- Joint swelling
- Losing skin firmness
- Appearance of wrinkles
- Hair loss
COLLAGEN AND NUTRITION
Through our diet we can increase collagen synthesis. Foods rich in vitamin C, silicon and sulfur boost the synthesis of collagen so their ingestion is always beneficial. This list includes foods that support collagen synthesis:
- Foods rich in vitamin C: red pepper, citrus fruits, green leaf vegetable, red berries…
- Foods rich in sulfur: cucumber, garlic, onion, olives, celery
- Foods rich in silicon: oats, banana, raisins, carrots, spinach
However, in some cases, including these foods in our diet does not guarantee collagen synthesis so a collagen based supplement becomes necessary.
SUPPLEMENTS WITH COLLAGEN BASE
An efficient way to slowing down the decrease of this structural component and to avoid later health conditions is taking a collagen supplement. Especially after hitting 40.
Generally, 10g per day is normally recommended. The most widely known is hydrolyzed collagen.
They may be made from two different sources:
- From mammals: bovine
- From the sea: derivatives of fish and seaweeds
In the market are available supplements focused on specific goals:
- Joint health maintenance
- Improvement of joint injury symptoms (sports)
At Weider we offer a specific supplement for each different goal:
- Weider Collagen is an essential complement with a base of hydrolyzed bovine collagen that guarantees a high bioavailability from Peptan® that will support joint health.
- Joint Collagen is an advanced product to support joints and bones. It has been formulated with a base of hydrolyzed collagen which is outstanding for using the best functional ingredients for joint care:
- Turmeric extract (CURSOL): turmeric is widely known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Organic silicon: silicon is a mineral essential for the synthesis of collagen and connective tissue.
- Mineral manganese: key for a proper synthesis of the basic structures of connective tissue and bones.
- Beauty Collagen has been designed using specific and highly efficient ingredients for skin beauty and care. It helps maintaining a youthful and healthy-looking skin, as well as fighting the effects of ageing on the skin.
- Hydrolyzed collagen peptides from fish.
- SkinAx™: a new ingredient with a pending patent specifically designed to support a healthy-looking skin. With polyphenols, SOD, vitamin C and zinc.